Jackie's Top 5: Magis --- A Herman Miller Partner
Known for their innovative use of materials and production techniques, Magis tests the limits of original furniture design.
1. Magis Officina Chair - Comfort through contrasts: Designers Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec celebrate the ancient craft of drop-forged iron with their Officina Chair. The slender legs are made of wrought iron rods that are heated, then bent, pressed, or joined where needed. A gently curved seat and backrest made of polypropylene or leather are set on top, creating a minimal design that celebrates the inherent irregularity of hammered iron.
2. Magis Folly - Seating designed to spark conversation: With its undulating, sculptural form, Ron Arad’s Folly bench will spark conversations while providing a comfortable place to chat. Molded in nearly indestructible polyethylene for both indoor and outdoor use, the bench’s seat and back surfaces merge seamlessly and encourage lounging in any which way.
3. Magis Chair_One - Melding structure, logic and comfort: Chair_One has intriguing looks and comfort—a welcome alternative to chairs that look comfortable but aren't. Modeled from die-cast aluminum and constructed like a soccer ball, Chair_One was designed to be more void than solid, to use the least material to create the most product.
4. Magis Spun Chair - A melding of function and fancy: Upright, the Spun Chair has the appearance of a sculptural vessel. But when leaned on its side, it becomes a fun and functional chair that lets you rock side to side or spin around. Architect and designer Thomas Heatherwick created the Spun Chair using a rotational molding technique to shape plastic. Made from a polypropylene material, all Spun Chairs are equally appropriate for indoor and outdoor use.
5. Magis Air-Chair - Not your ordinary plastic chair: This is no ordinary plastic chair. The air-molding process behind it makes it sturdy and durable. The technology is complex, the result is simple: a high-quality, lightweight, stackable, comfortable chair that looks stylish in all kinds of places, from casual to formal, office to home, indoors and out. Scatter them across a patio or café, line them up in a dining hall or classroom. The Air-Chair makes it easy for people to pull up a chair and have an impromptu conversation, lunch, or learning experience. Choose the chair with arms or without. Both are available in a variety of fun colors.